Re: Emacs for Cygwin

"Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.simonwiesel.co.il> Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:06:42
> I think that we need a CygEmacs - an emacs that will be compiled
> with the real Cygwin ported gcc (i.e. without the -mno-cygwin).

Do you mean a GNU Emacs? There's the XEmacs for Cygwin

http://www.xemacs.org/Download/win32/
> You may install either a cygwin or native windows version from one
> of our world-wide mirrors closest to you, by just clicking on
> setup.exe.

I too would like to see a fully Cygwinized GNU 21. (If anyone knows of
one, please lemme know.)

> CygEmacs will have UNIX APIs for I/O (files and sockets), and
> M$Windows APIs for the display and the keyboard. This is already
> done (partly) by the Cygwin port of rxvt.

Having the netinstaller is also nice. Even nicer would be to have one
or more emacs options under Editors in the Cygwin setup.exe. ed, pico,
and vim? gimme a break :-(

Indeed! TIA, Tom Roche <tlroche@us.ibm.com>