Re: "local install"?

[please don't send me personal email related to cygwin.  Keep it on the
list]

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> I tried the NEW setup. Let's say it has some problems still. I'll switch
> when the kinks are worked out.

Okay, so when you said "how can I..." you meant "I know it's supposed to
work, but it doesn't for me."  That's a bug report.  Thanks.

> Yes. We've been over this before. Setup.exe is still the best tool for
> me to use to maintain my local Cygwin mirror, and I like wget, too. I
> don't really see why you're so adamant about this. Why don't you remove
> the "Download from Internet" option if you're so certain setup.exe
> shouldn't be used to mirror Cygwin installable packages?

bootstrapping.  You can't use wget until after the initial install
('cause you don't have a working cygwin environment yet, as required by
wget.exe).

For personal use, yes -- you can do whatever you like.  But when the
on-disk database format for downloaded tarballs changes, to support
setup's *primary* goal -- the pseudo-mirroring behavior you like may be
adversely affected.  This has happened in the new setup -- tarballs from
sites are no longer stored in "<dir>/latest" and "<dir>/contrib", but
are stored under "<dir>/http%%%mirror.site%path%/contrib" etc.  If you
select multiple mirrors, the tarballs will be downloaded into disjoint
contrib or latest directories, depending on where they came from.  This
disrupts the mirroring behavior you like, but the disruption is nonfatal
-- you can still do what you want, but it won't be pretty.  However, the
behavioral changes are necessary to support the multisite capability.

Basically, the reason we've been harping that "setup is not a mirroring
tool" is to preserve the freedom to change setup's on-disk database and
operational behavior in order to support setup's *primary* goal.  If you
want a local copy of the tarballs that looks just like
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/ -- setup may no longer do that for you -- or the
way it does it may be different than you expect (e.g. the "extra"
'http%%%site%path' directory level)

Using a REAL mirroring tool will insulate you from such surprises -- but
if you're willing to deal with the changes in setup's behavior, good for
you.

>>> It still seems to me that control freaks are going to do as I do:
>>> Separate download and install.
>>

>> Sure.  And some people (incl. me) still boot their linux boxen into
>> console mode and only run X when required.  But that's still no reason
>> not to develop xdm/gdm/kdm graphical logon managers.
>

> I don't believe that analogy is particularly apt. I'm not smitten with
> GUIs and I still don't believe a good IDE exists. If the bulk of the
> (vocal) S/W developers were to be believed, syntax coloring and
> auto-completion were the end-all of programming support, but I find them
> unhelpful and undesirable. "In the beginning was the command line..." I
> guess I'm still at the beginning, in some ways.

I guess I misunderstood your complaint.  Sorry.

--Chuck