Printing locally.

Gygwin is a great product and it allows me to do much unix work but on
top of windows. I am essentially a unix person.

Now I am trying to simply print text mutt mail messages to a local
printer plugged into the back of my machine, which is running
Windows2000.  I have read the FAQ and searched the mailing list
archives. Most of what I find refers to remote printing or clever stuff
using a2ps etc. My problem is that I do not know how to refer to the
printer. This is probably my lack of knowledge of Win2000.

Here is the bit in the FAQ:-

FAQ>Alternatively, on NT, you can use the Windows `print' command. (It does
FAQ>not seem to be available on Win9x.) Type

FAQ>bash$ print /\?

FAQ>for usage instructions (note the `?' must be escaped from the shell).

OK, I do this and get:-

$ PRINT /\?
Prints a text file.

PRINT [/D:device] [[drive:][path]filename[...]]

   /D:device   Specifies a print device.

OK, so I have PRINT. If I type "PRINT a.txt" where a.txt is a simple text file,
it says it has printed it, but nothing prints. What does /D:device mean?
I can find nothing to help me on this.

FAQ>Finally, you can simply `cat' the file to the printer's share name:

FAQ>bash$ cat myfile > //host/printer

What does //host/printer mean? I have seen this with remote printing,
but I just want to print to the default printer plugged into the back of
my machine. It is called "CanonBJC-1000SP". How do I refer to it?

I would much appreciate some help on this point.

Regards, Brian.
--
           Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) b_duke@octa4.net.au
Honorary Fellow in Chemistry, NT University, Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.