Re: Why not a news server?

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> He asked that the person who established this service please post an
> announcement on the web page...but he's "still waiting".  Several
> weeks later.

Well, er, I guess I'm the one who established this service, and you
can read more about it on <URL: http://gmane.org/>.  I don't follow
this mailing list in particular, so if someone wants to announce
something for this mailing list, I'm probably not the person to do
that.

Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> writes:
> Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
> searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
> earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002).

Indeed -- that's when the test period was over and gmane.org was
started properly.  As for searching, that's something that will be
added at a later date, when there's something to search there.
(Probably by implementing the NNTP searching extensions, or perhaps by
slapping a web search interface on top of the news spool.  We'll see.)