Re: login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:01:45AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:
>
> > These user rights are by default only given to SYSTEM regardless
> > of the NT version.  XP differs only by requiring less of these
> > user rights in one of the needed system calls.
>
> Ok, but I can't seem to add specific rights to users with this version
> of windows xp (home edition).  You can give a user administrator
> rights (whatever set of rights that is), or not.  Is this another toy
> operating system after all?

Yes and no.  Fact is, the kernel and the libraries are a real
NT system.  But the system tools don't allow you to do all that
stuff.  You should have taken "Home Edition" really serious.

But that isn't what you do anyway.  Use sshd or inetd/telnet
to switch user context as you already do.  That's more secure.
Imagine your account has the user right "act as part of the
operating system" and you install a virulent application
accidentally...

> Anyway, the su alias using ssh works fine; too bad that noone
> responded on *that*, while it seems that everyone needs su.

It's in this mailing list's archive.  If anybody asks for su
again, we can point him/her to your posting.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.