Re: login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:

>> rights (whatever set of rights that is), or not.  Is this another toy
>> operating system after all?
>
> Yes and no.  Fact is, the kernel and the libraries are a real
> NT system.  But the system tools don't allow you to do all that
> stuff.

Ok.  So maybe with the right tools (or /proc/registry tweaking), "Home
Edition" could be taught to administer nt rights for users/groups.

> You should have taken "Home Edition" really serious.
>
> But that isn't what you do anyway.

I don't understand?  [This machine isn't mine, of course, but I've now
got the choice of using this iso an old Windows 98 box to test cygwin
stuff]

> Use sshd or inetd/telnet to switch user context as you already do.
> That's more secure.

> Imagine your account has the user right "act as part of the
> operating system" and you install a virulent application
> accidentally...

Sure.  Amazingly, the default setup from Miscrosoft is with Outlook
and one user without passwd, who has administrator (and whatnot)
rights.  So for enhanced vulnerability, a default IIS install should
suffice, I guess.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter