Re: Installing from local directory -- trying to avoid massive duplication of effort

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:03:35PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >But when running setup again and chosing the "install from local"
> >option, I have to make the same choices over again, not all of which I
> >remember (and it's a lot of clicking besides).  Is there a method, when
> >using "install from local," of simply installing every package that's
> >present in the local cache?
>
> If I was doing this, I would just use shell scripts or bat files to
> install things and skip setup.exe.  IMO, setup.exe isn't the appropriate
> tool for this job.  A shell script or .bat job is.  setup.exe is
> designed to be a tool for installing from the internet.  Isn't intended
> to be used as a mass-deployment tool.  There's too much potential for
> user error if you tell people to use setup.exe.

Oh, it wouldn't be "people" using setup.exe; it would be me.  Over and
over and over and over...

> However, I guess you could probably do what you need by creating your
> own setup.ini file:  http://cygwin.com/setup.html .

Hmmmmm... so, something like

    0)  choose download-only mode
    1)  select the packages I want
    2)  download them
    3)  edit setup.ini and add 'Base' to the "category:" line for the
        additional packages I want to install (and have downloaded)
    4)  on each client system,
     4a)  make the package "cache" and edited setup.ini available
     4b)  choose install-from-local
    5)  fervent invocation of deity

I'll try this once my experimentatal-W2K box gets done thrashing around.

Phil