Re: cygwin 1.3.10: kill gives spurious Not owner

Christopher,

Apologies for not responding sooner - other work things got in the way.

You say:
> The below ps output indicates that the program is not being started by
> bash.  You can see that it is using /bin/sh.  If you have changed this
> and now start the program via bash then it should work.  If it doesn't
> work, then I really don't know why.

When I originally posted the relevant script did have /bin/sh but I spotted
& changed this almost immediately and it made no difference.

So the relevant script is now:
QUOTE
#!/bin/bash

java -server -classpath
"./formattest.jar;$MERIDIAN_CLASSPATH" -Dmeridian.home="$MERIDIAN_HOME"
com.misys.meridian.runtime.server.StartServer formattest -logToScreen
UNQUOTE

However after all processing has stopped (I have suppressed the kill
statements) ps yields:

      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      477       1     477        477  con 1006 15:03:10 /usr/bin/bash
      457       1     386        380  con 1006 16:53:05 /usr/bin/sh
      337     457     386        337  con 1006   Jan  1
/cygdrive/d/jdk1.3/bin/java
      453     386     386        448  con 1006 16:54:36 /usr/bin/ps

I have scanned all of my scripts and /bin/sh does not appear in any of them.

Any ideas as to how a bash process can appear as a sh process?

>From a bash window, I can kill the /bin/sh process (457 above).  This does
not terminate the java process (337 above) that was spawned from the /bin/sh
process.  Also, from a bash window if I try to kill the java process I
continue to get a Not owner message.

regards
                                                    Stephen