Re: SHELL variable not exported

At 01:32 PM 3/21/2002, Andreas Gerstlauer wrote:
>I just upgraded (after using a rather old version) to the
>latest Cygwin (1.3.10) and have a strange behavior:
>it seems the SHELL environment variable doesn't get exported.
>
>The way I realized that is that when I am starting an rxvt
>out of the normal Cygwin shell (clicking on the icon), rxvt
>will run /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash (the latter one being
>in /etc/passwd). An "echo $SHELL" in the Cygwin shell gives
>me the correct /bin/bash but the same thing in rxvt returns
>nothing (not set - hence, rxvt falls back to /bin/sh).
>
>Now, if I do "export SHELL" in the Cygwin shell and then
>run rxvt everything's fine!
>
>What's wrong? Did something change? Do I need to tweak
>something? Or is this a bug? It used to work fine before...
>
>For the record, I am running under both Win 98 and Win 2k.
>
>Andreas
>
>P.S.: Please reply by personal mail, I am not subscribed to
>       the list.

Look at the email archives with the thread "termcap problem in RXVT?"
This has been discussed to death so it's not worth repeating it here.

What is worth repeating is this is exactly the kind of question that
warrants a little research before posting.  See http://cygwin.com/lists.html
for background.

Given the posts today, I think I'll start automatically replying to all posts
with "Check the email archives!" ;-)