Re: cygwin1.dll bug in ftime

From: "Wu Yongwei" <adah@netstd.com>

> This is from the glibc documentation (is glibc meaningless to the Cygwin
> project?):

I'm not sure what you mean by "meaningless", but glibc is of no
particular relevance to Cygwin.

>      The GNU operating system does not support using struct
>      timezone to represent time zone information; that is an
>      obsolete feature of 4.3 BSD. Instead, use the facilities
>      described in 21.4.8 Functions and Variables for Time Zones.

You quote documentation that tells you not to do what you are doing.

> I do not understand you quite clearly. And I want to emphasize again that IT
> USED TO WORK! Do I need to write patches so that the code is unpatched?

If anything is going to change, somebody has to write patches.
If you're the one that wants it to change, it seems reasonable
that you should be the one who writes the patches.

> Also notes the usage of "unspecified". "Unspecified" means the standard does
> not say anything about the implementation, and, IMHO, the implementors are
> free to choose the best practices. I think it is obviously a good way to
> follow BSD.
>
> Am I wrong?

You're wrong to say that it's obvious. Why is it better to follow
BSD than any other version of UNIX? Why is it better to do anything
in particular with an obsolete feature that has been deprecated for
many many years?

> Thank you for your suggestions. The points are:
>
> 1) Cygwin did very well, but not now;
>
> 2) I was not using ftime to get time, but to get timezone information.
>
> 3) timezone variable is not usable in Cygwin.
>
> So timezone is now not portable. Cygwin broke some "unportable" code.

Is that a surprise? Unportable code, by definition, is likely to
break between different releases of an OS, and between different
OSes. Instead of spending time complaining here, you'd be better
off generating patches to introduce the behaviour you want. Even
better, spend the time changing your code to use the standard
portable ways of doing what you want to do.