Dropping ssh connection using keys

I'm having a problem making a ssh connection using keys to a sshd running
under Cygwin. The submitted keys are accepted and a welcome login banner
is printed, but then the connection is dropped (so I don't think it's a
permissions problem). Debugging output from sshd indicates a read error
that leads to a ESHUTDOWN message. I get this behavior from
various ssh clients. When I disable connections via keys and use
passwords, all works well. I saw a similar posting in early January, but
there was no reply.

I'm using the latest distribution.

--
* John Barnard, Ph.D.