Re: "Install-Info" not found during installing CYGIN

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Hack Kampbjørn wrote:
>
> > Note this doesn't happen for wget. I've just checked.

> >>No! Anything that has info pages should depend on texinfo. That's what
> >>dependencies ARE FOR.
> >>

> Anything that installs .info files should have texinfo in its dependency
> list.  If it doesn't, it's a bug, and the setup.hint should be fixed.

Sorry but I disagree.
wget includes documentation in clear text, man pages and info pages
(some other packages also has HTML documentation) but it has no
dependency on cat, more or less (or whatever pager the user prefers), or
man, or texinfo.

It should be up to the user to choose how to read the documentation be
that cat, man or info.

Taken the example further, some package may in the future (when XFree,
Gnome and KDE are full setup.exe package) have some Gnome or KDE menu
shortcut but it shouldn't install Gnome or KDE just because of that.

> (Yeah, it's possible some of my own packages violate this -- tell me and
> I'll fix 'em)

Readline doesn't depend on texinfo but uses install-info in its
postinstall script, we agree that it's a bug:
#!/bin/sh
prefix=/usr
infodir=${prefix}/info
cd ${infodir}
for fn in history.info readline.info rluserman.info ; do
  install-info --dir-file=./dir --info-file=${fn}
done

But I don't think the fix is to add texinfo as a dependency but to only
call install-info if it's installed.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn