RE: Printing postscript file

Michael A Chase wrote:

>> lpr -P //host/name gmeta1.ps- what to put in //host etc. ?
>>

>Check your Window's printer definitions.  'host' is the name of the
server
>hosting the printer.  'name' is the shared name of the printer in that
>host.
>If its a local printer, use your computer's name and the printer's
name.

Doesn't work for me on XP. Mine is a local printer, my computer's name
is -- according to the value of the COMPUTERNAME envvar -- 'JASON', and
my printer name is -- according to the Printers and Faxes control panel
-- 'HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL'. This information is also given thus on
the Windows XP Printer Test Page. However:

	$ lpr -P "//JASON/HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL" eight.c
	lpr: can't open '//JASON/HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL' for
writing
	lpr: The printer name is invalid.

(Yes, I know I shouldn't be sending it a textfile but rather PCL, but I
don't think that's the issue here.)

Just for laughs I tried substituting the 'Port name", whatever that is,
for the 'Printer name', with equally dismal results:

	$ lpr -P "//JASON/DOT4_001" eight.c
	lpr: can't open '//JASON/DOT4_001' for writing
	lpr: The printer name is invalid.

I have read all the postings in this on-again, off-again thread, but
although they raise, they do not appear to solve, the issue which is
that some of us cannot connect to our printer *at all* under Cygwin, and
it always comes down to the fact the we do not know how to refer to it
*symbolically* (an ability which all the various fixes assume).

It may be relevant that my printer is connected via USB, but then again,
private correspondence with someone else having these problems, and who
is connected via the parallel port I gather, suggests that it may not
be.

Cygcheck output attached as file cygout.txt.

Jason C. Johnston
mailto:jason@astadhyayi.net
http://www.astadhyayi.net