How I solved: "When I telnet to my machine I get 'bash.exe: The Applicationcan't be initialized correctly (0x0000022)'"

Hope this can help someone.

The scenario
------------
WinNT4.0SP6a, Cygwin 13.3.20 up to date for almost all packages
obtainable by setup.exe (with the exception of Ghostscript, Dejagnu,
links, postgresql, tetex and all of the *-devel packages).
Machine belongs to domain MYDOMAIN and I use MYDOMAIN\MYUSER to log to
the machine. MYUSER has been added to the MYMACHINE\Administrators group.
Cygwin was installed using MYMACHINE\administrator (even if since 2 or 3
months I update it through MYUSER).
Inetd correctly installed as package, installed as service and started
(I followed the instructions in /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README).

The problem
-----------
When I try to telnet to MYMACHINE from another machine (or from itself),
all works correctly until I insert username and password, then, if
username and/or password is wrong, I must reinsert them (as usual), but
if username and password are right I see motd and then (on MYMACHINE) a
dialog with this message (or a very similar one) is displayed "bash.exe:
The Application can't be initialized correctly (0x0000022)".

A workaround
------------
Trying to change bash.exe with another application (I tried sh.exe,
fortune and others) will not work. Therefore is not a bash problem.
It's very probable that:
  * it's not an inetd problem: the problem arises after inetd has done
its job;
  * it's not a login/logind problem: i tried also with rsh, rexec and
rlogin but none of them succeeded.
Some time ago, all worked so I guess that some component I upgraded is
causing the problem. Unfortunately I rarely telnet to my machine,
instead I use it as an X Server (XFree 4.2.0), so I can't determine when
this happened.

Proceeding with trials and errors I discovered that downgrading from
Cygwin 1.3.10-1 to Cygwin 1.3.9-1, will make the whole thing work. So
for me, at least at the moment, this can be a solution.

The REAL solution
-----------------
When trying to solve this problem I messed with mkpasswd and mkgroup, as
a result this morning I was not able to start XFree anymore, in that
ssh-agent claimed that it can't start because of some sort or permission
problem.
Then I realized that even if I was logging to my machine as
MYDOMAIN\MYUSER when I opened a local shell I was taken into
MYMACHINE\administrator home (i.e. /home/administrator) (!!!).
Nevertheless I was not MYMACHINE\administrator, infact when I created
files they belonged to MYDOMAIN\MYUSER.
This was probably the problem.
I followed these steps:
  * regeneration of /etc/passwd and /etc/group with mkpasswd and mkgroup
only for local users/groups;
  * insertion of MYDOMAIN\MYUSER into /etc/passwd with the command:

      mkpasswd -u MYUSER -d MYDOMAN >> /etc/passwd

    (this because MYDOMAIN contains thousands of users and generation a
/etc/passwd file with all those users shouldn't be very useful for me);
  * update to Cygwin 1.3.10-1;
  * reboot (I don't know if this is needed).

After doing so, ssh-agent works again and now (eureka!) telnet does.

Conclusion
Ad said by many people of the Cygwin list, it was a permission problem.

Danilo Turina
Alcatel Optics TND Network Management
Rieti (Italy) - Phone: +39 746 600332