Re: strange delay in date?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago wrote:

     > On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
     >
     >      > Upon re-reading my reply I noticed that it was too terse. date shows
     >      > UTC in your case because you did not set up your timezone
     >      > correctly. If you do, date will show your local time, date -u will
     >      > show UTC.
     >      >
     >      > In my case, I set TZ to CST6CDT, which means time zone is CST, I'm 6 h
     >      > west of UTC, and my daylight savings time zone is CDT
     >      >
     >      > regards,
     >      > Markus
     >
     > Thanks a lot now I know what is the problem, but I don't know how to
     > resolve it. I know how to do it in linux, but not in cygwin (arrgh! :)

OK! I answer myself: setting the TZ variable:

$ export TZ=CST-1CDT; date
Thu Apr 11 18:55:26  2002
$ date -u
Thu Apr 11 16:55:29  2002

How can I set this variable as the default? In /etc/profile?... let's
try... yes! it works although I don't get bash hour prompt to work:

17:01:07 ~$ date
Thu Apr 11 19:01:10  2002

there's still a delay of 2 hours between the two dates. Maybe there's any
other configuration for this...

And now I want this command (date) to work from cmd.exe too (not only from
bash.exe): I guessed that probably setting a variable TZ to the timezone
in cmd.exe would work and so it does!:

C:\>c:\cygwin\bin\date
Thu Apr 11 17:00:15  2002

C:\>set TZ=CST-1CDT