Re: load user preferences ?

At 01:02 PM 4/15/2002, Marc Chantreux wrote:

>>>mc@MILLENIUM:~# pwd
>>>/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/mc/_unix
>>>mc@MILLENIUM:~# ls -A
>>>.Xdefaults     .bashrc  .gimp-1.2  .lftp  Mail       _viminfo
>>>.bash_history  .cpan    .irssi     .ssh   Xdefaults
>>>
>>>but i was worked fine on an older install. Any idea to fix that ?
>>

>>Yes.
>thanks
>
>>You want to look at the email archives,
>done ...
>
>>user guide,
>done ...
>
>>and FAQ
>done ...
>
>the only problem noticed is that the $HOME is not set ... if you see my lines, you
>you can see that it's done.

I can see what's done?  That HOME is set?  You mean to
"/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/mc/_unix"?  I believe you're asking for
a leap of faith on my part that isn't warranted based on the data you've
provided.

>>  If you still have trouble for some reason, you'll
>>need to provide the list with the specifics of what you've done and the
>>process you follow that makes your problem occur.
>hmm ... sorry for being ambigous :
>
>- i've installed cygwin with the setup.exe. the $HOME was still set with %USERPROFILE%/_unix.
>- it does not work.
>- i've tried to mount this $HOME on /home/$USERNAME without succes.

To be honest, I'm still not real sure what your specific problem is.
I'm guessing that you want to know why .bashrc isn't sourced.  Am I right?
That depends on how you invoke the shell.  Adding it to one of the script
files that get automatically sourced with "bash -l" (which is what is invoked
by cygwin.bat) will solve that problem.  There's discussions in the email
archives about this.  In particular, there were discussions about the fact
that /etc/profile doesn't source this file by default anymore and what the
alternatives are.  You may want to review that discussion or even just look
at the bash man page and/or user guide to see what files are sourced when and
why.  There are good recommendations in those documents that will resolve
your issue for you.

>BTW , i've seen that the /etc/passwd uses /home/$USER as $HOME. I've just tried :

This is discussed in the email archives.

>%HOME% = c:\_home\%USERNAME%
>and
>mount "c:\_home" /home
>
>failed too :(

Sorry.  I don't follow your logic here.  I can't see how noticing that
/etc/passwd uses /home/$USERNAME would suggest that you need to set your
HOME variable to c:\_home\<anything>.  You're free to do so but why you
would want to or need to is beyond me.  Ditto the mount.