cygwin randomly pauses under Win2k

I have this wierd behaviour, and it is causing some stats that I
run to whack out.....

Every now and again (every 15-30 minutes or so), my cygwin apps
pause for 1-2 MINUTES....   I have written a simple script to capture
this behaviour:

$ cat doit
#!/usr/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]
do
    echo `date` Starting >> doit.log
    /usr/bin/time -o doit.log -a sleep 60
    echo `date` Ending >> doit.log
done

I have also written a quick sed script to filter the output from time:
$ cat gettimes
#!/usr/bin/sed -f
s/^.* \([^ ]*\)elapsed .*$/\1 elapsed/
/^0inputs.*$/d

And here is some of the offending output
Tue Apr 16 09:40:53 2002 Starting
1:00.13 elapsed
Tue Apr 16 09:41:54 2002 Ending
Tue Apr 16 09:41:54 2002 Starting
1:00.11 elapsed
Tue Apr 16 09:42:55 2002 Ending
Tue Apr 16 09:42:55 2002 Starting
1:00.21 elapsed
Tue Apr 16 09:45:45 2002 Ending
Tue Apr 16 09:45:46 2002 Starting
1:00.16 elapsed
Tue Apr 16 09:46:46 2002 Ending
Tue Apr 16 09:46:47 2002 Starting
1:00.16 elapsed
Tue Apr 16 09:47:47 2002 Ending

What's interesting is that between seconds 42 & 45,
time shows an elapsed time of 1:00.21, but the system clock has
actually elapsed 2 minutes & 50 seconds, (unless there is some
major hangups in the invoking of the echo and/or `date` commands).

I am working on this machine, so I know that there are no 2-3 minute
pauses in user responsiveness....

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour??

Thanks.