Re: bash 2.05a-3: option to allow drive letter prefixes for completion?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Chet Ramey wrote:
> Readline has a set of characters it uses as word
> delimiters for completion, and the calling application can modify that
> set to its tastes.  Bash includes `:' as a word break character, which
> makes it convenient to complete colon-separated lists like $PATH.
> Since the colon breaks words, the only thing that gets passed to the
> filename completer is `/' and whatever follows it.  Quoting the colon
> (the simplest thing to use is a backslash) causes readline to not
> consider it a word break character.

In that case, it sounds like the right question to be asking is whether
there is a user-visible knob that we can tweak to modify the set of
characters which bash passes to readline as word break characters.
Both ":" and "@" seem like reasonable candidates to allow removing
from the word-break list, with the obvious caveats about functionality
that would no longer be supported within the shell: $PATH-type list
modification and automatic hostname completion, respectively.

Chris

--
                Chris Metcalf -- InCert Software -- 1 (617) 621 8080
                metcalf@incert.com -- http://www.incert.com/~metcalf