Re: Where is the manual to manually install cygwin in Windiows 2000

George,

What I see is that both pages instruct the user to do a "cvs login" and
that's to be expected, since that part of CVS.

You don't need to use the Cygwin port of CVS to retrieve file from the
cygwin.com CVS server. You can use a Windows native CVS command line or
something like WinCVS or jCVS.

If you run a Cygwin CVS from a non-Cygwin shell (BASH, ash, tcsh), it will
try to create and read the ".cvspass" file in the directory named by the
value of the HOME environment variable, so if you try this, make sure that
variable is set. I imagine that a Windows native port of the CVS
command-line client will the do the same or something very similar. After
all, Windows users have home directories, too. GUI CVS clients probably
have their own configuration files or registry entries for storing this
sort of information.

Otherwise, CVS is CVS. The interaction between the client and the server is
specified by a protocol, and it doesn't matter which client or server you
use, as long as they both properly implement that protocol.

It might help you to know that there is no "session" created by a CVS
"login" command. That command simply prompts for and verifies the password
with the server and then records it (if it's the command line CVS, it does
as as I mention above and puts a mildly obscured version of the password
into $HOME/.cvspass). Then each subsequent command directed at the same CVS
server uses the password that was recorded in the .cvspass file. The CVS
command line tool does not start an interactive sub-shell. To my knowledge,
the only time it launches other processes is to create an editor for
composing check-in or update commentaries.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA