RE: Bug in setup.exe 2.194.2.24

but not XP.  Since the majority of Cygwin users do not
> use XP (yet) I'd suggest that it would be a good idea for some
setup.exe developers to have access to a variety of systems
> to help avoid and debug this sort of problem in the future.

I certainly do try to test on more than one system, and I always make
alpha and betas available and ask for feedback. The simple reality
though is that I am a single individual, not a corporation with a test
lab. As such, testing on other platforms only happens when another
developer (such as Pavel or Gary or Michael or ...) makes the time to
test - and notices the fault. If someone wants to ship me a smallish
machine for using for tests, that would be neat. Short of that though...
we'll continue doing what we can.

> As a first step to investigating this, I moved my 'latest'
> directory from under the mirror directory to the top level of
> the local download directory, and the problem still occured.
> So if the problem is in check_for_cached it's common to both
> legacy and mirror directory handling.

Thanks for the detail Cliff. As a point of interest: both latest and
contrib are obsolete - and I expect setup.exe to redownload the entire
content of mirror sites. This is due to a restructuring done on
sources.redhat.com to put everythign in to /release. However the
restructuring is transparent in all other respects - which is why there
have been no trouble reports here :}.

The download process iterates over all known packages, and calls
download_one for the binary (if the binary is selected for
install/download) and source packages (likewise, only if selected). The
first thing that download_one does is call check_for_cached and returns
success if check_for_cached succeeds. Check_for_cached checks both the
non-prefixed directories, and the directories in each <known> mirror
prefix. This means that changing mirrors will cause repeated downloads,
and that selecting all the mirrors you want to use is the most efficient
approach.

Cheers,
Rob