RE: Is Cygwin legal under Windows XP?

Another issue is the number of clients served by a windows host running cygwin.
  I remember that was an issue for O'Reilly for the web server they used to sell
for Windows - non-server versions of Windows were only licensed to serve a few
clients of any sort, and server versions of windows that could have any number
of users came bundled with IIS, so O'Reilly was unable to sell to people who
already had a bundled web server.

If somebody's running cygwin on a machine that's only licensed as a desktop
version of windows, and they have a lot of clients for apache, postgresql, ssh
or whatnot, they're likely in violation of the windows license.

I couldn't say whether the cygwin developers could be held liable by microsoft
for not enforcing the desktop client limit.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com