Re: More newbie questions, SSH and paths

On 24 Apr 2002, Andrew Markebo wrote:

     > / "B. Joshua Rosen" <bjrosen@polybus.com> wrote:
     > | I've got SSH partially working, I can log into the Win2K box but X
     > | forwarding isn't working. I've enabled X forwarding in the
     > | /etc/ssh_config and /etc/sshd_config files but when I ssh -X into the
     > | box and then try to launch Xemacs nothting happens. Does anyonw have any
     > | suggestions?
     >
     > Throw -d at the ssh client and you can see what happens, which machine

or maybe with -v (verbose instead of debug?)

     > do you ssh from, which machine do you try to run xemacs on? What is
     > the value of DISPLAY in that shell you try to fire it up from?
     >
     > (BTW xemacs does not need to mean Emacs for X11, it is an emacs called
     > xemacs, and well this compilation could be missing X11 support)

I guess DISPLAY variable is not needed when using ssh with forwarding
option enabled (this is in Linux at least).

     > | I'm also am having a path problem. I've set the path in my .cshrc file
     > | but it doesn't seem to work. Below I've echoed the $path env variable,
     >
     > Well, default cygwin business is done through bash, not csh, and
     > .cshrc is only read by csh-shells.. normal for bash is to set the path
     > in your ~/.profile. Or set some cshell (csh/tcsh) as your shell.
     >
     > | /home/bjrosen> which xemacs
     > | xemacs: Command not found.
     > |
     > | /home/bjrosen> ls
     > | xemacs.exe
     >
     > You need to have ./ in the path. Or run ./xemacs.

I think you're wrong, maybe a 'which xemacs.exe' will do what you want.
Remember cygwin != linux.

rgrds,
m4c.