Re: Cron & ssmtp timeouts

Gerrit,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:03:56PM +0200, Gerrit Cap wrote:
> I have a few batch jobs that I would like to schedule using cron and have
> the output e-mailed. For small jobs this works fine but for jobs that run
> for a period of time no e-mail is being sent. Instead after snooping around
> I found this error message in /var/log/cron.log:
> /usr/sbin/ssmtp: connection lost in the middle of processing, exiting.

I had similar problems.

> Any ideas how to solve this ?

Yes, if you are willing to use procmail and read the cron mail (only)
locally, see the attached patch.  I have patched my cron to deliver mail
via procmail instead of ssmtp in order to:

    o solve the above problem
    o prevent mail servers from removing the X-Cron-Env header fields
    o remove the dependency of multiple mail hops just to send mail
      to myself

Jason