Re: building iconv/libcharset fails

I've ported it -- but I will not submit it for official inclusion in the
cygwin distro.  If you want to take my work, and assume the official
maintainership, and submit it for official inclusion, that is ABSOLUTELY
FINE with me.  (Also, once the official libtool-1.5 comes out, then the
libiconv maintainers might accept our patch -- but not until then.  Can
you imagine?  "What?  You want me to accept a major patch, of over 3M
size, generated by running an unofficial version of libtool?  Hah!")

Take a look here:

http;//www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/

The -src package contains two patches.  The normal build procedure is to
unpack the -src package and then:

./libiconv-1.7-2.sh prep
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh conf
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh build
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh install
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh pkg
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh spkg

This procedure uses the *first* patch, the really big one, but doesn't
require that you have the autotools installed.

The OTHER build procedure

./libiconv-1.7-2.sh prep2
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh conf
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh build
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh install
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh pkg
./libiconv-1.7-2.sh spkg

This procedure uses the second, very much smaller patch.  However, the
"prep2" step first removes all of the autotool generated files, and
re-runs the autotools. (That's where the bulk of the first patch comes
from).  THEN it applies the small secondary patch.

So, "prep" uses the big patch, and no autotools.  "prep2" uses the small
patch and the autotools.

Note that my version uses "prefix=/usr/local".  You'll want to change
that to "/usr" in libiconv-1.7-2.sh.

--Chuck