Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 04:04:36PM -0700, Michael A Chase wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:30:00 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 06:07:12PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>>If you're on the other end of a slow connection and are apt to be
>>disconnected every couple of hours, you will *never* be able to do a
>>complete install since the setup.exe will start from scratch every time
>>you reconnect.  It doesn't matter if you chose "download from internet"
>>or not since setup.exe will only consider what's installed when
>>considering what to download.  That just seems like a bug to me.
>
>That's what the discussion has been about for the last week or so.
>After lots of requests for this functionality, the position eventually
>hardened to "it's not a download tool".

Right.  But it started with my suggesting this behavior was a bug and (I
thought) Robert agreeing.  So, I thought it was time to chime in again.

>> If I have this right then even removing download from internet does not
>> eliminate this problem.
>
>That depends on how capable wget or rsync is.  I have not looked into it
>but if we do remove the download only function from setup.exe, we (me?)
>should probably add something under cygwin.com describing how to mirror
>selected packages.

It's not a question of mirroring.  It's a question of setup.exe being
completely unusable for some people.  We can't say that setup.exe is the
only method we'll support but then tell people to use some other method
when it fails for them as they try to use it in a perfectly acceptable
way.

The bottom line is that if we have to tell someone to use wget or rsync
just to do a normal install, something is wrong.

It seems like this problem would be trivially fixed by not attempting to
redownload something that has already been downloaded.

cgf