setup fails: "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"

About a month ago, I downloaded and installed a fairly minimal Cygwin
subset.  Tonight, I downloaded some additional packages.  When I
attempted to install them, setup produced a message box:

    Can't open (null) for reading: No such file

Retrying the installation yields the same message.

I found a couple of mentions of this message in the archives, but no
explanation of what causes it or how to fix it.  (I infer from the
context that everyone involved in the discussion knows exactly what
is going on, so no explanations are needed.)

Is any recovery possible, or must I wipe the entire installation and
start over?

BTW I tried to post this to cygwin-apps as requested on the web page,
but it bounced.