RE: Repeated setup msgs: "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"

The work week...

> For 00th time did a fresh install today. Latest setup.exe.

Please define latest. A version number will do. (I can think of three
definitions off-hand)>

> This is from Local Directory, by the way: but all .tar.bz2
> and -src.tar.bz2 and .tar.gz and -src.tar.gz are present in
> the approprate directory under /release/, for [prev] and
> [test] as well as [curr].

Ok.

> Select absolutely everything. This time I selected all the
> .src files as well, which I've never botherd with in the
> past. During installation (which btw has been successful :
> everything I've tried, works, as it always has in the past)
> repeated message boxes
>
> "Can't open (null) for reading: No such file"

Urgh. I really want to squash that bug.

> were presented to screen, always with reference to filename
> -src. Just kept on clicking the message boxes away until
> eventually the installation groaned its way to completion.
>
> I observe :
>
> 1. Three sets of source files _have_ actually been installed.
> They are in
>
>     /usr/src/src/diff
>     /usr/src/src/gperf
>     /usr/src/src/m4
>
> 2. Note double /src/. Is this the correct location?

No. That is definitely faulty.

> 3. For each of these applications, there is no versioning in
> the filename (as in bash-2.05a-3 for instance) : they are
> just called diff, gperf and m4. Coincidence or what?

That is up to the packager.

> So it looks as though the "Can't open ..." failure is almost
> but not quite reducible to a file-naming glitch? Dunno, but
> hope this helps.

It may. Thank you for the detailed analysis. This is really good stuff.

> I have not tried a network installation from scratch, also
> incorporating -src files. But I will, now.
>
> They are huge and awful (2 MB), so I will only send the
> matching setup.log and setup.log.full if requested.

Please send privately to me (bzip2'd).

Rob