Re: pine dumps core on exit

On Mon, 20 May 2002 14:34:51 -0700 (PDT) Eduardo Chappa
<chappa@math.washington.edu> wrote:

> The diagnosis of your problem is correct. Your problem comes from the fact
> that you have chosen "DOS" over "UNIX". You will need to change it "unix".
> This is one of the symptoms of the error. Your addressbook should not be
> working either. Pine needs those "\n", over "\r\n". Please notice that
> this may require you to restart Pine from scratch (new .pinerc,
> .addressbook, etc).
>
> Is there a way to know if a user is using DOS instead of UNIX in their
> installation? I would be insterested in looking into this, although it may
> be a major change in Pine.

Since Pine appears to need to control the line endings, it should probably
open all mailboxes (at least) in binary mode.  Binary mode would have no
effect in Unixes and would do no harm in MSDOS derived systems including
DOS type Cygwin mounts.  Changing the open() or fopen() calls is likely to
cause changes in quite a few places, but it shouldn't be very difficult to
decide where it is needed.

I'm actually a bit surprised this hasn't been a problem in Win32 or MSDOS
ports of Pine.
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html