Cygwin mounts not available when logged in over network

With the current release of Cygwin I am experiencing the bizzare
problem that a samba mount which is mounted as drive "Z:" on my
Windows XP system is available to Cygwin applications when accessed
from a Windows console window (Cygwin default or rxvt), but does not
appear to be mounted if I access the system via remote login with
telnet, ssh, or xterm from a remote X11 server.

In a console window 'ls /cydrive/z' lists the expected files but I see
the error

  /bin/ls: /cygdrive/z: No such file or directory

if the shell is accessed over the network.  I assume that Cygwin's
mount mapping is not being activated for some reason.

I am currently using zsh as my shell, compiled under Cygwin, but the
same problem occurs when using Cygwin's bash shell.

Does anyone know the reason for this problem?  Is there a workaround?

Bob