Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: fetchmail-5.9.11-3

Pete,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 09:54:49PM -0500, Pete McCann wrote:
> This version seems to work ok (at least it worked for a 2M attachment
> that I sent to myself just now).

Thanks for the status.  If you would like to verify that the Winsock
workaround code is actually being triggered, then just run fetchmail
with the --verbose option.  You should see many of the following
messages in your fetchmail logfile:

    Cygwin socket read retry

> I will post again if I see a recurrence of the problem.

Please do.

> Yes, I had gotten the source code for 5.9.11-1 from a cygwin mirror,
> not the fetchmail homepage.  Sorry about the confusion.

No problem.

> Thanks for your efforts maintaining this critical piece of software.

You are very welcome.  Since I use Cygwin fetchmail at both work and
home, I'm not doing much more than what I would have to do to maintain
the package privately.

BTW, I use Cygwin fetchmail at work to avoid the Outlook/Exchange thing
myself.  There are some known MS Exchange issues that you should know
about:

    o POP3/IMAP access can truncate messages:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296869

    o attachments (e.g., PDF) can be incorrectly encoded so that some
      mail clients (e.g., mutt) will not be able to decode them:

      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q178241
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q182307

I worked around the above by adding a rule in Outlook to copy all new
messages to a "copy" folder and then instructing fetchmail to retrieve
the messages from this folder instead.  In this way, I can always get
back the original message, if necessary.  Additionally, I configured
AutoArchive to remove "old" messages from the Inbox so I don't
eventually exceed our corporate maximum disk space usage policy.

Thanks,
Jason