Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user

At 10:13 AM 6/6/2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:
>
>> What exactly led you to the conclusion that the best approach to setting up
>> mounts on the XP system was to copy registry settings from the 98 machine?
>> Get rid of the registry entries you've created this way and just use 'mount'
>> to set up mount points like the ones you have on the 98 machine.  It's allot
>> simpler and requires no explicit registry manipulations.
>>

>The thing that led me to do that is past experience with explicit mounts.
>
>The problem is what happens if I run the script twice. I don't understand
>exactly what happens there, but I know that I got errors about "mount point
>busy" and such.

mount points are persistent.  That's why you can find them in the registry.
You simply need to create the mount points you want once.  After that, they
will persist on the system for which they were created until you remove them.
If you try to recreate them without first removing them, you will get a
message indicating the mount point is busy.  In your case, you should
interpret this as "I don't need to create this mount point.  It exists
already."

>Anyway, this is what I currently did. My current cygwin.bat:
>
>set HOME=p:\
>set LOGNAME=tzafrir
>n:\bin\mount n:/ /
>n:\bin\mount p:/tmp /tmp

Get rid of these two lines.  If you've run this batch file once on the
target machine, you're done.  If not, run the commands from the DOS box
once.

>n:\bin\bash --login -i
>

>Probably could be improved, but it sort-of works for the moment. I sort-of got
>and X server&ssh up-and-running.
>
>I still only consider it sort-of works, as I currently have many problems.
>
>For instance, 'startx' doesn't work, due to some X authorization problem.
>Maybe because mcooky is missing. And I still have to create /home/tzafrir
>so I can mount my home directory on it.

Sounds like you're on the right track, more or less.