Re: 1.3.10: ttyslot dying, Windows 2000 Server

Argh, and I didn't realize you had written more.  responses below...

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> writes:

> At 01:22 PM 6/14/2002, Len Giambrone wrote:
>
> >I run a combination of long perl (ActiveState perl, not cygwin perl), and bash
> >scripts to do many sundry things including downloading files, untarring files,
> >etc.
> >
> >After things are finished, I try to do some cleanup.
> >
> >About 30% of the time, the system hangs at 100% CPU, and I notice that
> >drwtsn32.exe is running (Just in Time Debugging is enabled).  My scripts are
> >attempting to rm a file, but the file is currently opened by drwtsn32, so it
> >spins forever until I kill it.
> >
> >When I use drwtsn32 to look at what caused the crash, it tells me that
> >"ttyslot" is the culprit.  By looking at logs, it's clear that ttyslot is
> >dying in a variety of standard unix programs, like md5sum, tar, etc.
>

> What's ttyslot?  Answering this and understanding more about it might help
> you solve your problem.  It's clear this isn't a Cygwin problem per-se
> because a search of http://cygwin.com/packages/ for ttyslot turns up nothing.
> I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to understand why this indicates
> it's not a Cygwin issue. ;-)
>

> <snip>

> >        c:\WINNT
> >        c:\perl\bin
> >        c:\bin
> >        c:\contrib\bin
> >        c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
> >        c:\perl\bin
> >        c:\ntreskit
>
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Here's a likely problem.  Cygwin binaries must be first in the path when
> running Cygwin binaries (at least).

I don't think that is the issue here, but point taken.

> >        c:\usr\local\akamai\bin
> >        c:\usr\local\akamai\lib
> >        c:\sbin
> >        c:\usr\bin
> >        c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
> >        c:\PROGRA~1\DIALOGIC\bin
> >        c:\bin
> >        c:\root\bin
> >        c:\usr\local\bin
> >        c:\root\bin
> >        c:\usr\local\bin
> >

> <snip>
>

> >a:  fd           N/A    N/A
> >c:  hd  NTFS   17500Mb  63% CP CS UN PA FC
> >e:  cd           N/A    N/A
> >
> >.     /cygdrive  user    textmode,noumount
> >c:    /          system  binmode
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Oops!  You didn't install with setup.exe!  Thirty lashes with a
> wet noodle!
>
> Sorry, you're now banned from this list... ;-)

Yeah yeah, I knew someone was going to say that.  I need to automate this and
duplicate it across many servers.  To date, there is no setup that I can use
to script an install.  Give me one, and I will happily comply.  ;-)

> Seriously though, your installation is obviously non-standard.  This list
> discourages questions from those with a non-standard installation, at least
> if the poster cannot prove that their problem is not configuration dependent.
> So, you should either wipe your current installation and reinstall with
> setup.exe or prove to us that your problem is Cygwin-related.  Otherwise, I'm
> afraid this is OT for this list.

I'm not asking for installation help.  When a function internal to the cygwin
dll dumps core causing the debugger to be invoked, I would call that Cygwin
related.

			-Len