Re: KSH on Cygwin

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:10:01PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:41:28PM +0200, Thomas Baker wrote:
> > I have been looking forward to KSH in particular, because
> > that is what it will take for me to move completely from MKS
> > Toolkit to Cygwin.  When I first installed Cygwin on the same
>
> What I don't quite get is:  Is there actually any important
> feature in ksh which isn't already available in bash/tcsh/zsh?

I wrote a two-page script in KSH about eight years ago and
still depend on it on a daily basis for my work.  When I
try simply changing the #! line to bash I get error messages
suggesting that bash lacks certain features or expresses them
in another syntax.  I am not a programmer, just an amateur
shell-script writer, and do not have the time to solve these
various problems.  For all I know, a real shell expert could
port the script in twenty minutes; I wouldn't know.

One KSH-specific construct, I believe, is "print -u3"
to park some output in a buffer with the handle "3".

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                Thomas.Baker@bi.fhg.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784