Re: Re[2]: Rebase 1.5-1: Causes invalid page fault

Bernard A Badger <bab@vx.com> wrote:

> [...]

<snipped/>
> > The above is from help library that is coming with the
> > downloadable Platform SDK. It is dated November, 2001.

> > I just grepped /usr/include/w32api:

> > ./basetsd.h:100:typedef  unsigned long ULONG_PTR, *PULONG_PTR;

> > So it is not a pointer to pointer. They have chosen a strange name
> > though :)

> Which "it" are you talking about?  The typedef you found defines
> ULONG_PTR as a pointer to unsigned long, and also defines PULONG_PTR
> as a pointer to pointer to unsigned long.  But I thought the issue
> was the type of NewImageBase.

No, `typedef unsigned long ULONG_PTR' defines `ULONG_PTR' as a synonym
for `unsigned long'.

Btw., if I remember the MSDN documentation correctly, ULONG_PTR is
supposed an integer with the the same /size/ as a pointer, but also a
typedef for unsigned long where possible.  Hence the name.

> The question was whether
> 	ULONG_PTR *NewImageBase,
> defined a pointer to a pointer --- it does!  *NewImageBase defines
> NewImageBase as a pointer to ULONG_PTR, which is itself a pointer,
> so it is, again, a pointer-to-pointer-to-unsigned-long.

No, it's a pointer to unsigned long which is really a pointer.

Jon Cast