Re: Slow compilation on PCNFS mounts

Oddvar.Myrnes@stoltoffshore.no wrote:

We have a source repository residing on a HP-UX server. It is distributed to the linux world with NFS and to the Windows world using (Hummingbird) PCNFS. When I build the software on CYGWIN (latest version) it works fine, but it takes for ever!!!!! In short very slow. I have never tried to do a build on local disks, so I have nothing to compare with, but is there a connection with the spawning of sub-processes (GCC uses a lot) and Cygwin, or is the bottleneck in PCNFS? Anybody have experienced something similar?
One way to attempt to answer that question would be to make a copy of that source repository over onto your PC and point the build process to that local copy. Then time the builds with the time command. You could also move the copy to another PC and share it and again time building that. Then you would have 3 times: one for how long it takes to build locally (probably the quickest time), one for how long it takes to build remotely using PC's SMB protocol and one for how long it takes to build remotely using NFS protocol. If you find the later has a large time difference then I would strongly suspect that the problem lies either with the NFS protocol or Hummingbird itself (Of course, the HP-UX server could be a couple of hops away and that may account for the longer time or perhaps there's a bad router or network configuration causing dropping of network packets).