fetchmail

Hello-
I know this question has been asked before but, I don't understand the
solution to the problem. Here is goes. I have cygwin loaded on w2k and I am
trying to install fetchmail from src. It compiles fine but when I goto run
it the permission on the .fetchmailrc file are not set properly. I know that
with w2k you cannot change the permissions for files. What can I do to get
fetchmail working? is there a patch out there I can appy to get around this?
I would really like to use fetchmail on this system.
thanks,
brian