Re: [Fwd: Re: Newbie: How to get permissions working with 'ntsec']

At 05:32 AM 6/24/2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 11:12:41PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>> True.  I will admit that the thought of supplying a quick patch to this
>> doc occurred to me just after sending the response.  Anyway, attached is
>> my proposed patch.
>
>Thanks Larry but I don't think that's the right way to do it.
>The ntsec doc is written as the functionality grew.  Therefore
>the next chapter describes what has been added since version 1.1.
>In the original state the passwd and group files didn't contain
>the SIDs and they don't help to understand the examples.  They
>shouldn't introduce stuff which is talked about later in the doc.
>
>I've changed the text to explain the examples and I've added
>examples with SIDs in the next chapter.  I've uploaded it to
>the online users guide already.  Please read it again an give
>some feedback.

Hi Corinna,

Thanks for updating the document.

I understand your structure for this document.  I guess I'm not sure if
the user's guide is the proper place to keep this historical information
though.  In my opinion, the user guide needs to be clear and concise.  It's
not clear to me that this historical information works toward that goal.
However, I think the changes you made do a better job of clarifying the
two sections and the current state of things in this area.  But it's probably
best if the original poster and other newcomers to provide their comments
on these changes.  If it's clear to the target audience, I'm fine with it.

Thanks again for your efforts.