xfree success!

(1) I downloaded the newest (at least a couple of hours ago) snapshot of
cygwin1.dll, yes, I renamed it and copied it over
to /bin
(2) I used some ideas on the xfree list, for shorthand, I am going to use
my_domain, my_name for my domain name and
user name, substitute your own:
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkpasswd -d my_domain | grep "my_name" >> /etc/passwd
Now, a couple of important notes here:
In the original hints, they just used -d, and I was to damn stupid to
realize I had to give a domain name after that. Then I had to remember what
it was.
I am on a large network.  This took a very LONG time.  I gave up and went to
a meeting, it was finished when I got back.
(3) In another classic Wayne is a moron moment, I immediately tried
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx.  It did not work, because I was in the
same window I did the mkpasswd in.  I closed that, opened a new one, and it
worked!
(4) Note for the startx to work, you have to have one of those .xinitrc
files in your home directory.  You can copy the one from
/etc/X11/xinit to your home and start from there.  You also (in theory) need
to have a file called .Xauthority, which has the kicker that it
will work if you just have an empty file by that name.  Now, this file gave
me some errors early on, I tried moving it a minute ago,
and things worked without it.

I am still working some issues with bash, but it works pretty well.  Thanks
to all those who were patient with me, while I thrashed around.
As I said earlier, I am not sure what fixed my problem, some of the stuff
above may be unneccessary.  I do know it is working.

Wayne Keen