sporadic core dumps caused by atexit processing

I am seeing sporadic core dumps whose cause appears to be a call
to atexit(0).  Maybe not, but the atexit data structure has
a null function pointer in it when examined with gdb.  This
causes obvious problems when the process exits.  The null pointer
appears to always be at _fns[1], if that means anything to anyone.

For the moment, I am going to put in a patch to ignore null
function pointers instead of calling them, and see if my core
dumps problems (and maybe also sporadic process hangs) go away.

Joe Buehler