Re: basic inetd setup -- opening up a new port - what am I missing?

Matt Munz wrote:

Hi all,

First off, cygwin is great.

w2k, latest cygwin

I installed the net utils, and read the following pages.

http://www.adamswann.com/library/2001/Cygwin-Inetd.html

Ultimately, I'm trying to get a cvs pserver going, but for right now, I just want to open up a port to echo. Any port will do. Here's what I tried.

1) Added the following line to /etc/inetd.conf

cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /bin/echo echo hello

2) created /etc/services and added the following line to it

cvspserver 2401/tcp
Didn't you wonder when you were creating /etc/services why it was not there in the first place! Because I believe that is the clue. Cygwin doesn't use /etc/services! Instead it uses $SYSTEMROOT/system32/drivers/etc/Services. Perhaps the best solution would be:

$ rm -f /etc/services
$ ln -s $(cygpath -p $SYSTEMROOT/system32/drivers/etc) \
> /etc/services

Then edit /etc/services to add the cvspserver line.

3) started the server using cygrunsrv

4) "telnet localhost" -- this works

5) "telnet localhost 2401" -- get the following error

Could not open a connection to host on port 2401 : Connect failed

6) view the log file /var/log/inetd.log -- it contains the following

ADD : cvspserver proto=tcp, wait=0, user=root builtin=0 server=/bin/echo
FREE: cvspserver proto=tcp, wait=0, user=root builtin=0 server=/bin/echo

Instead of "FREE..." I want to see "registered /bin/echo on 2401".

What happened? Any ideas? Does this have to do with my services file?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Matt