Re: cygwin and long filenames with spaces

At 10:17 2002-08-09, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:11:45PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Chris Game wrote:
>
> > In an earlier post, Randall R Schulz said...
> >
> > > It sounds like you have an alias or shell procedure standing in for the
> > > built-in "cd" command.
> >
> > Ah! That vaguely rings a bell.
> > <goes away and tries it>
> > Yes, long ago in the days of beta 19.whatever I must have set cd up
> > as a function including a 'pwd' line. The response is:
> >
> > cd is a function
> > cd ()
> > {
> >     builtin cd $1;
> >     pwd
> > }
> > cd is a shell builtin
> >
> > So - I need to modify the 'builtin ...' line.
> >
> > <tries a couple of possibilities>
> >
> > Well, 'builtin cd "$*";' works! No  idea if that's the correct
> > modification though.
> >
> > Thanks for all the help - what  a group!
>
> I'd make that 'builtin cd "$@"' instead.  Not sure if it matters in the
> case of cd, but this would make it treat quoted parameters properly...
> Good practice, anyway. :-)

Good practice for most scripts.  But it would make the two strings
separate quoted arguments when the objective is to make them one.

--
Jon H. LaBadie

Jon,

Not quite. It means that the number of arguments seen by the built-in "cd" command will be identical to the number of arguments given in the top-level (interactive or scripted) invocation of the "cd" shell function.

Since the built-in "cd" command takes options (try "help cd"), the "$@" is advisable.

Usually "$@" is the right way to go, but there could be times when joining multiple arguments into a single string might be called for.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA