login/sshd no longer works after installing GCC3

Hi folks,

I'm all out of ideas.  I had a Windows 2000 box working perfectly
with CYGWIN sshd and login but since I upgraded to GCC3
(via http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe) they no longer work.

I already went through the same "mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd ;
mkgroup -l > /etc/group", permissions, sshd user and CYGWIN ntsec stuff
as I did to get it working in the first place, but no luck this time.

$ login Administrator
Password: (my password)
Login incorrect

I doubt it's a problem with sshd since even login no longer works.

Reverting to GCC 2.95 via setup.exe did not help either.
Erasing the Cygwin directory and completely reinstalling CYGWIN
also did not help in making 'login' work again.

Any ideas?  I have already read all the FAQs and docs on the subject.
Besides the cygwin directory and the one Cygnus registry section what
else might have changed relating to Windows password authentication?

My machine uses NTFS and is not on a Windows domain.

I am using:

    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.3.12
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 54
        Shared data: 3
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Sat Jul 6 02:16:58 EDT 2002
        CVS tag: cygwin-1-3-12-1
        Shared id: cygwin1S3

login               1.4-4
crypt               1.0-1
cygwin              1.3.12-4
gcc                 2.95.3-5
openssh             3.4p1-5
openssl             0.9.6g-1
openssl-devel       0.9.6g-1

CYGWIN = `ntsec binmode tty'

What is the _minimum_ setup I need to get 'login' to succeed?

thanks in advance.