Re: Cygwin 'login' command does not work - why?

At 04:58 PM 8/13/2002, Joe Wilson wrote:
>What are the minimum requirements to get the following Cygwin command to work?
>
>$ login Administrator
>Password:
>Login incorrect
>
>It always responds "Login incorrect" despite entering the correct password
>and being already logged in as the user 'Administrator':
>
>$ id
>uid=500(Administrator) gid=513(None) groups=0(Everyone),513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)
>
>I have already tried:
>
>  mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
>  mkgroup -l > /etc/group
>
>and have ntsec set in the CYGWIN variable.
>What else am I missing?
>
>What other files, environment variables, or registry items or Windows
>features does login.exe make use of?
>
>This ought to be pretty simple, shouldn't it?
>
>The truth is that I don't care about "login", per se, it's just that
>no other Cygwin service requiring authentication will work on my
>Windows 2000 machine so the login example is simplest case.
>Since that does not work then sshd, telnetd, ftpd don't work either.

I'll suggest that you review the email list archives about this and all
the available documentation on these programs and inetd if you have not
already.  This general issue has come up many times before and the solution
is generally a configuration one.  Previous discussions and available
documentation should help track down this problem.  Don't worry about
not being able to invoke "login" from the command line.  The Cygwin
version of this utility is not meant to be invoked from the command line.
The issues you note when you do so are red herrings.