Re: cron: proving operator error

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Vince Hoffman wrote:

> > Can anyone suggest a simple program to test cron works?

> The easiest test is just to "touch" a file and check it is a) created and b)
> its modification time is changed each time the cron job should run. (do it
> in /tmp or somewhere else with full permissions to everyone.)

That's it!

	mr_bean@AFLD-SERVER ~
	$ ls -l /tmp/testfile
	ls: /tmp/testfile: No such file or directory

	mr_bean@AFLD-SERVER ~
	$ !!
	ls -l /tmp/testfile
	-rw-rw-rw-    1 mr_bean  None            0 Aug 14 18:52 /tmp/testfile

	mr_bean@AFLD-SERVER ~
	$ !!
	ls -l /tmp/testfile
	-rw-rw-rw-    1 mr_bean  None            0 Aug 14 18:53 /tmp/testfile

I must have spent about 7 hours on the documentation and tweaking
/etc/passwd, thinking something was wrong with cron. Oh well, I
guess I learned a lot about Windows 2000 ;-)

Now to see what's wrong with my FTP and SSMTP programs.

Thanks.

--
Greg Matheson                Failure: What happens when the irresistible
Chinmin College              force meets the immovable object.

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage>