Cygwin takes *forever* to run gcc's configure!

I'm trying to build gcc3.0.4 for ppc on Cygwin, but the configure
script is taking *forever*!  It's about 100 times slower than on
Linux.  I don't think it'll finish overnight.  It's been on
"checking for getrusage..." for the last 20 minutes.
The CPU is 95% idle.

I checked the FAQ, and no, I don't have a \\ in my path.  Here's the path:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/d/Perl/bin/:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/WBEM:/usr/bin

Nothing funny there (except perhaps /usr/bin being in the path twice),
and having ActivePerl installed.

The OS is Windows 2000.  I just installed a fresh copy of Cygwin from cygwin.com.
I notice another fellow had a similar problem just a couple days ago -- is this contagious?

I tried turning off my virus software, no change.  I'd turn off the
VNC server, but then I couldn't see what was going on :-)

I tried running again, and watching closely for what was slow.
Seems like every line of configure's output takes about 1 second to appear.
Haven't seen it slow down to zero again yet, but

Has anyone figured out what can cause cygwin to run soooo sloooowly?
- Dan