gud/gdb in emacs - source file goes invisible....

This is my first post to the list so please have mercy if it's the wrong
spot......

I've been trying to adopt ntemacs as an ide for a couple of weeks and have
almost given up as the source code window under win2k will dissapear when
trying to step through the source code. I've been unable to figure out if
this is a gdb problem, an emacs problem, or just some strange fluke. This
problem doesn't occur on my FreeBSD box (I still haven't been able to get
the gud tooltips to work on the BSD either :-( )

After I set a breakpoint, type run, the window that contains the source code
with the breakpoint goes blank.... I'm using ntemacs 21.1.1 (GNU Emacs
21.1.1) and the cygwin GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-3). The source code is simple c
code and I have other machines that this works fine on like the BSD machine.
I haven't been able to
get this to work on a ntemacs/cygwin machine yet however.

Current directory is c:/openfvs/organon/
GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-3)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
Breakpoint 1 at 0x406eae: file ../src/organon/mortality.c, line 457.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /cygdrive/c/openfvs/organon/organon.exe

Breakpoint 1, CALC_MORTALITY (n_coeffs=5, coeffs=0xa012280,
    STAND_INFO=0x22fa20, N_TREES=20, TREES=0xa014190,
    STAND_BA=68.48513800724038, N_FERTS=0, YRS_FERT=0xa014190,
LBS_FERT=0x13)
    at ../src/organon/mortality.c:457
(gdb)

and the window that now contains the breakpoint is blank. I can type step 1
or next 1 and then type list and the list shows up in the gud/gdb window,
but I need to be able to step through the source code. Is this a bug or do I
have some goofy config somewhere? I have no idea about how to diagnose
this problem. Could someone give some hints?