-mno-cygwin flag and libraries

Hi!

I'm looking for information on the -mno-cygwin flag. What are the
consequences (for pathnames, shared libraries linking, ???)? I've looked in
the docs/faq/gcc man&info and google without luck. Can I combine libraries
compiled with or without -mno-cygwin.

I'm also looking for information on the many different types of files (.o,
.a, .la, .dll.a, .so, ...) created during the make process and what is
specific or different for cygwin.

In particular, are .dll the equivalents of .so? In the library (libgda in
www.gnome-db.org) I'm trying to compile, ./configure options tells me static
and shared libraries are created by default, but I'm not getting any dll.

Also (maybe off-topic), the libgda is loading a shared module with the
function g_module_open from glib 2.0. Anyone here nows if it works with
shared libraries (dll??) in cygwin.

Any help appreciated,

Fernando