Re: printing from within Cygwin

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 Fred_Smith@computrition.com wrote:

> Trying to figure out how to print from a Cywin (console) app.
>
> Porting a Linux app to cygwin. On Linux it uses popen() to pipe output to a
> shellscript which in turn cats its input to lpr (it may do other things,
> and may transform the data, but that's the ultimate goal).
>
> trying to figure out how to do something akin to that under cygwin.
>
> Invoking "lpr <filename>" at the command prompt comes back with an error
> message:
>
>      can't open 'prn' for writing.
>
> Advice would be appreciated. (I hope you're not going to tell me I need to
> learn all about the innards of windoze printing!)
>
> Thanks!
> Fred

No, learning the innards of "windoze" printing is not necessary.  Learning
ghostscript options, however, wouldn't hurt. ;-)

I have been using the attached script for a while.  It works on my current
system (Win2k with gs7.03 installed).  Note the disabled support for
gsprint -- I couldn't get it to work properly.  If anyone can get the
gsprint part to work, please let me know.

I also had to tweak the standard gslp.ps that comes with ghostscript to
allow printing standard input properly (modified script attached).  My
copy of gslp.ps is in /usr/local/bin, and the script expects to find it
there.

The -P option and the $PRINTER variable will recognize windows printer
names (spaces and all).  'ware of the backslashes...  Use the -Q option to
select the printer using the windows printer selection dialog.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file