Re: A Simple Real World Benchmark for Cygwin

--- John Vincent <jpv50@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a 450Mhz laptop with 256Mb RAM.
> The O/S is Win 2K SP3.
> Your configure script takes approx 25 seconds, when
> run as a bash command in an rxvt window with default
> mounts as per setup (install binary/all)

Ok,

I think we've established a long time ago that the method Win9X/ME
uses to do file I/O is much slower than the method NT uses.  How do I
know this?  Well it seems that the slowest parts occur when using
"sed" to find and replace data or copying lines of data.  This is
especially prominent in the creation of libtool.  So the real
question is: what, if anything can be done about it?  Since no one
seems to know for sure, let's drop it and stop dwelling on unpleasant
circumstances.

Cheers,
Nicholas