Re: Quick password question...

 Hallo!

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 tony.arnold@man.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:04:52PM -0400, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >
> > > Here's the problem I'm having:  sshd refuses to do public key
> > > authentication when run as a Windows service.  It will only work with
> > > password authentication.

> > > If I run sshd from the command line, it works just as one would expect and
> > > allows for public key authentication.
> >
> > I have a similar problem. sshd on my XP machine at work will not do public
> > key authentication when running as a service. Run it from a command prompt
> > window under the SYSTEM account and it does work!

 In theorie, sshd should allow public key authentication in two
 situations:
 When run under SYSTEM-Account as service (because only SYSTEM may
 change usercontext without a password) and when run as that user,
 which tries to login with public key authentication (because there
 is no usercontext switch neccessarie).

 If it works form commandline as SYSTEM (btw.: how do you get a
 command prompt running as SYSTEM? I thought that is impossible ...)
 but not as a service under the SYSTEM account, then check your
 PATH and CYGWIN variable. Is PATH and CYGWIN set to somthing usefull
 when running as a service? Has the SYSTEM-account access to the ssh(d)
 files? What about permissions of authorized_keys and know_hosts?

 Just some random ideas. Hope this helps you.

  Bjoern

| Dipl.-Phys. Bjoern Kahl +++ AG Embedded Systems and Robotics (RESY) |
| Informatics Faculty +++ Building 48 +++ University of Kaiserslautern|
| phone: +49-631-205-2654 +++ www: http://resy.informatik.uni-kl.de   |